Sun. Apr 18th, 2021

A contingent of members of the Judicial Police of the National Police Corps (CNP) and the Military Emergency Unit (UME) has resumed this Monday in Gran Canaria the search for the body of Juana Ramos, the woman who disappeared on August 20, 2016.

The search tasks are focused on the municipalities of Arucas, Moya and Guía (in the north of the island), in a device supervised by Magistrate Auxiliadora Díaz, who directs the Court of Violence against Women number 2 of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Among the team, made up of 150 troops, are specialized climbers and drones brought from Madrid, given the steepness of the ravines in the area.

This search operation is carried out after the new evidence in the case, according to sources from the Superior Court of Justice of the Canary Islands (TSJC).

Ramos was 56 years old at the time of her disappearance, she was the mother of two children and a neighbor of a popular neighborhood in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The day he lost his trail, he had arranged to go for a walk with his former partner, Miguel Ángel Ramos, to discuss financial matters. Both had been in a relationship for 14 years and separated three months before the disappearance.

After the first investigations, the investigated, owner of a pizzeria, was arrested on September 7, 2016 as the main suspect in the death of his ex-partner. The authorities had managed to verify several lies in which he had incurred in his statements to the police and to the magistrate who is investigating the case.

At first, Ramos had assured that he had gone for a walk with the woman and then left her at 00:00 at night at her home in La Paterna. The agents, however, later verified that the signals from both mobiles located them in the northern part of the island (Moya and Arucas) until the early hours of the morning, when the signal from Juana’s device disappeared.

In the judgment of the magistrate, the defendant has offered during the investigation a version of events that is “totally implausible” and has given “contradictory and very little credible” statements, showing “no collaboration” from the moment of the disappearance, which it has become “an obstacle, an extreme totally incompatible with a person who has lost his partner and with whom he had a relationship of affection and, as he said in court that he loved her.”

The accused is currently at liberty, since the investigator has acknowledged in her latest files that she does not have sufficient legal reasons to order his admission to preventive detention.

In Díaz’s opinion, there is “no doubt that Mrs. Juana Ramos did not disappear voluntarily”, nor that his ex-partner “knows all the details of that night he disappeared and where his body is currently”. In December 2018, he was sentenced to pay 930 euros for threatening and assaulting a journalist.

After the disappearance of Ramos, details of the relationship with his ex-partner became known. According to her friends told the press at that time, she suffered physical abuse and verbal and psychological violence, in addition to monitoring and harassment.

The defendant asked the victim to put his business in his name because he was going to divorce his wife and he feared that he would lose this business in the separation.

At first there were no problems. However, according to the two sons, he stopped paying Social Security and did not pay compensation for an unfair dismissal. He did not have money to face 24,000 euros. The administration claimed them from her, being the owner of the pizzeria.

She asked the bank for a loan and each month she paid 500 euros to the bank, and then he paid it to her. In the two or three times they considered cutting off the relationship, he threatened not to pay the 500 euros a month. Until he finally took the step and cut the relationship.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *